Project Title: National Cancer Institute’s Research Specialist Award (R50)
Sponsoring Department: Oncology
Deadline Date: Friday, October 26, 2018
National Cancer Institute’s Research Specialist Award (R50)
Internal Deadline: 10/26/2018 (by MIDNIGHT) – 17 Day(s) Left
PURPOSE OF AWARD: The National Cancer Institute is pleased to announce the release of the Research Specialist Award (R50), a Workforce Development initiative. These funding opportunity announcements (FOAs) are targeted to non-tenure track laboratory, core and data scientists whose salary is currently supported by NCI-funded grants. The NCI R50 Award encourages the development of stable research career opportunities for exceptional scientists who want to pursue research within the context of an existing NCI-funded cancer research program, but not serve as independent investigators.
FUNDING POTENTIAL: Up to, not exceeding, 5 years. Application budgets may request the following two expenses in direct costs per year:
- Salary support for the Research Specialist commensurate with their level of funded effort (at least 6 person-months) on NCI-funded research grants during Federal Fiscal Year 2018
- Travel costs to attend research meetings/conferences not to exceed $2,500 per year
- Applicants must have an advanced degree (e.g., Masters, Ph.D., D.V.M., D.D.S., M.D.) in an area of biomedical science or biomedical engineering
- Have demonstrated cancer research accomplishments in their primary discipline
- At the time of application submission, the Research Specialist must have been supported by and contributing to the Unit Director's NCI-funded research for at least the previous 2 years.
- The Research Specialist must have a full-time, non-tenure track position at the academic or research institution and be supported (including salary) for at least 6 person-month effort on the Unit Director's NCI-funded research grants (where the Unit Director is the PD/PI) during Federal Fiscal Year 2018.
- The Research Specialist will be required to commit a minimum of6-person month effort on NCI-funded research grants during the life of the R50award. The Research Specialist may engage in other duties as part of the remaining 6 person-month effort not covered by this award.
- The Research Specialist must have demonstrated professional accomplishments consonant with his or her career status, and should have demonstrated cancer research experience in the areas of behavioral, biomedical(basic or clinical), computational or bioengineering research that is relevant to the NCI mission.
- The Research Specialist must not have held or applied for independent investigator grant support (e.g., including but not limited to:R00; R01; R03; R21; R43; R44) within the past 5 years.
For More Information and Questions: